That’s the conclusion of opinion writer Dana Milbank, washingtonpost.com, after pointing to specific instances of policy clashes and other flaps Ambassador Rice has had in her career. http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/dana-milbank-susan-rices-tarnished-resume/2012/11/16/55ec3382-3012-11e2-a30e-5ca76eeec857_story.html?hpid=z6
Those flaps probably would diminish the notion that some of the opposition to her is sexist and racist.
But, Robert Kagan, washingtonpost.com, makes the salient argument in her favor (quote):
It seems a big reach to suggest that Susan Rice, of all people, should be barred from another job in the Obama administration because of what happened in Benghazi.
With so many potential crises staring us in the face in 2013, the country doesn’t need a nasty fight over who said what when or a brutal confirmation battle that may result in a new secretary of state wounded from the start by a partisan Senate vote. It’s hard to see what national interest would be served by such a spectacle at a time when many around the world wonder whether the United States can get its act together.
READ MORE: “Scapegoating Susan Rice does U. S. no good,” LINK: http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/robert-kagan-scapegoating-susan-rice-does-america-no-good/2012/11/16/dfc00224-300c-11e2-a30e-5ca76eeec857_story.html?tid=pm_opinions_pop
Kagan nails it.
With the impending fiscal cliff and other big problems challenging the nation, and in view of her qualifications for the appointment, Republicans need to fold the tent on opposing Ambassador Rice’s nomination for Secretary of State and move on.
Related Web Articles
- Amb. Susan Rice Likely to Become Secretary of State (whitehousedossier.com)
- Questioning Susan Rice is Racist and Sexist (nationalreview.com)
- The bogus, baseless case against Susan Rice (maddowblog.msnbc.com)
- GOP senators cool to idea of Susan Rice as secretary of State (latimes.com)
- Obama Defends Susan Rice Against ‘Outrageous’ McCain, Graham Attack (kaystreet.wordpress.com)
- Soledad O’Brien destroys GOP over Benghazi, Susan Rice (video) (kaystreet.wordpress.com)
- Obama: Don’t Go After Amb. Rice, ‘Go After Me’ (goodolewoody.wordpress.com)
- GOP Senators Don’t Back McCain’s Plan To ‘Block’ Susan Rice’s Potential Nomination As Secretary Of State (cmmacneil.wordpress.com)
- Soledad O’Brien destroys GOP over Benghazi, Susan Rice (americablog.com)